Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Transducer for line array cabinet

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    The Altec woofers are wonderful piece of technology that require a large size cabinet.

    If we take the JBL aproach of a dual 3" 600 watts
    voice coil neodymium magnet light weight 9lb structure in a Altec underhang movement. Could we
    not produce something similar to a 411,416,420 in sound quality that could fit into a JBL vented 2 ports per woofers box type size by modifying some of the Thiele Small Parameters?

    I can just see the faces of the Engineers at
    JBL and L-Acoustic.

    The rest is simple 4 8" mid transducers with dual 3" voice coil 300 watts and 3 HF Beryliumn dome drivers at 75 watts.

    17


    ..............

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ January 12, 2008 09:28 PM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font>

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Transducer for line array cabinet


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    If you are asking could the Altec concept be applied to arrays, certainly.

    Probably, in fact could use existing Altec designs, maybe with a little updating from Bill.

    Probably would result in a very nice sounding system.

    Neodymium is nice but not necessary, Alnico would work fine.

    Not sure why you keep specifying dual voicl coils- none of the array I've worked with have that to the best of my knowledge. Dual coils certainly aren't inherent in a n array.

    Tecnically, the Shure Vocalmaster is a line array...and was succesful in it's day.

    Line arrays are fine- I just have ab issue with them being the "flavor of the month".

    Every young sound engineer is running around glassy eyed mumbling "line array"

    Not directed at you BTW- you and I don't qualify as "young sound engineers'.

    But frankly- I've seen cases, especially outdoors, where other systems could have worked better.

    A major reason for array's poularity is setup. Less crew, less boxes. Much of the array's popularity is economically driven.

    In five years or so something will replace the line array, and everybody will say line arrays aren't any good anymore.

    Been there done that.

    Multicells beam...

    Blah Blah.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Neodymium is nice but not necessary, Alnico would work fine.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Neodymium for weight.

    Not sure why you keep specifying dual voicl coils-
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">High power and less distortion.


    In five years or so something will replace the line array, and everybody will say line arrays aren't any good anymore.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your right on that one . I quote the president of L-Acoustic " Now what's next "

    .................................

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Transducer for line array cabinet


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I just gotta go on record as diaggreeing dual coils have less didtortion. Agia- I've used may arrays that don't have the. No biggie- I just don't agree.

    It's kinda weird- peer pressure is pretty high, espescially for those starting out. Every body wants you to have the equipment made by whoever is spending the most media dollars- and they recover those dollars by charging more for the gear.

    There are dozens of brands of gear that work just fine. It isn't like the old days of the 60's when it was Altec or JBL, if you were poor you had EV.

    Actually- that dozens of brands might be hubdreds. Everybody's heard of EAW, many less have heard of some of the driver manufacturers EAW uses.

    Do a poll on how many people you know who have owned a BMS driver for instance.

    What I'm trying say is there is so much good stuff these days. I'd rather see the industry glorying in its choices, than see it sticking to whoever advertises the most.

    Guess I'm just getting too old.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.